- 500ml Self-raising flour
- 250ml Beer
- 250ml Grated cheddar
- 150g Bacon bits
- 150g Onion chopped
- 5ml Garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare an indirect fire with 25 briquettes on each side and let it burn for 35min.
- In this time sauté the onion and bacon in a pan till soft and starting to get some colour. Leave to one side to cool slightly.
- Mix the flour and cheddar and then add the beer. Mix until a dough is formed.
- Press the dough flat onto a floured surface. Spread the bacon and onion evenly onto the dough and roll up from the one side into the shape of a log.
- Fold in the ends underneath and place the bread onto a buttered drip tray or even in a loaf tin.
- Place the drip tray on the grid and close the lid. Bake for about 20-30min depending on the thickness of the loaf. The loaf will sound hollow when you tap it once cooked.
- Serve with butter and ‘braaivleis’
Prep time: 15 min
Grilling time: 20-30 min
Serves: 6-8 people