- 8 slices Italian bread, each about 15/25cm thick
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- 8 paper-thin slices Parmesan cheese
- 2 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- Brush or spray the bread slices on both sides with the oil. Grill the bread on one side over direct low heat (120°C to 180°C), with the lid closed, until toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the bread to a work surface with the toasted sides facing up. Rub the toasted sides vigorously with the garlic clove. Place a slice of cheese on top of each. Grill over direct low heat, with the lid closed, until the cheese melts slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the bread to a plate.
- In a small bowl toss the chopped tomatoes with the oil and vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Top the toasted bread slices with the tomato mixture and garnish with basil. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Grilling time: 2 to 4 minutes