- 1kg asparagus spears, tough ends removed
- 6 to 8 spring onion
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups tightly packed baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh tarragon
- Place the asparagus and spring onion in a large bowl and coat with the olive oil. Grill them over direct medium heat (180°C to 230°C) until they are marked by the grill but not dark, 4 to 6 minutes, turning once. Keep the lid closed as often as possible during grilling. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 5cm lengths and place in a medium saucepan.
- Add the chicken broth, spinach, and pepper to the saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, and then simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a food processor and puree them. Return the pureed vegetables to the saucepan and mix well. Whisk in the cream and tarragon. Simmer the soup for 3 to 5 minutes, but do not let it boil. Season with salt to taste. Serve warm.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Grilling time: 2 to 4 minutes