- 2 tuna fillets, about 230g each and 2.5cm thick
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup finely diced cucumber
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped black olives
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 loaf Italian or French bread
- Sliced tomatoes, optional
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Lightly brush or spray both sides of the tuna fillets with oil. Sprinkle both sides evenly with the fennel, salt, and pepper. Grill the tuna fillets over direct medium heat (180°C to 230°C), with the lid closed as much as possible, until opaque throughout and firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once.
- Transfer the tuna fillets to a cutting board and chop them into 2.5/10 cm pieces. Place the tuna in a medium bowl and add the topping ingredients. Gently stir to combine. Taste the mixture and season with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Cut the bread on the bias into 2.5/7.5 cm slices. Lightly brush or spray both sides of the slices with oil. Grill the slices over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until toasted, 1 to 2 minutes, turning once.
- Spoon the topping on the toasted slices of bread, along with sliced tomatoes and lettuce, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Grilling time: 9 to 12 minutes
Serves: 15 to 20