- 1 medium head garlic
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large, ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 2 anchovy fillets (oil packed), drained
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small globe eggplant
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 French rolls
- 4 red-leaf lettuce leaves
- 100g goat cheese, sliced
- Remove the loose, papery outer skin from a head of garlic and cut off the head to expose the cloves. Drizzle the olive oil over the cloves. Replace top and place on a large square of aluminum foil. Fold up sides and seal to make a packet, leaving a little room for the expansion of steam. Grill over indirect medium heat (180°C to 230°C), with the lid closed, until cloves are soft, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove the garlic from grill and allow to cool. Unwrap the foil and squeeze out the cloves into a mini food processor. Add the remaining paste ingredients and process until smooth.
- Cut the eggplant crosswise into 1.5cm thick slices. Halve the bell peppers lengthwise. Remove the stems, core, and seeds and flatten the peppers with the palm of your hand. Lightly brush or spray the eggplant and bell peppers with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill over direct medium heat until tender but not limp, turning once. The eggplant will take 8 to 10 minutes and the bell peppers will take 6 to 8 minutes. Keep the lid closed as often as possible during grilling.
- Just before serving, split the rolls and grill them, cut sides down, over direct medium heat until toasted, about 30 seconds. Brush the inside of the rolls with the garlic paste and layer with the grilled vegetables, lettuce, and goat cheese. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Grilling time: 50 minutes to 1-1/4 hours