- 1.250g plum tomatoes, cores removed
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut crosswise into 1.5cm slices
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, stem removed
- 2 tablespoons pure chile powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 450g top sirloin steak, about 1cm thick
- 3 boneless pork loin chops, each about 140g and 1cm thick
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 bottle (340cm) ale
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can (395g) speckled beans
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- Grill the tomatoes over direct medium heat (180°C to 230°C), with the lid closed as much as possible, until the skins are lightly charred on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes, turning as needed. Transfer the tomatoes to a food processor and purée (in batches, if necessary), then pour into a large saucepan.
- Brush or spray the celery and onion slices with olive oil. Grill the celery, onions, and jalapeño over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until well marked, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once. Transfer the vegetables to a cutting board. Chop the celery and onions into 1/4-inch pieces. Mince the jalapeño. Add the vegetables to the tomato purée.
- In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon of the chile powder, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and the pepper. Brush or spray the meat with oil and season both sides of the steak and the chops with the spices. Grill over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, for about 8 minutes, turning once. Remove from the grill and cut into 1cm cubes, then add to the tomato mixture.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon chile powder, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, cumin, oregano, garlic, cayenne, ale, and broth to the meat mixture. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the meat cubes are very tender, 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Add the pinto beans and simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Serve warm in individual bowls and top with the cheese and sour cream.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Marinating time: 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours
Grilling time: 24 to 28 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8