- 6 slices bacon
- 900g ground chuck (80% lean)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 thin slices extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 6 hamburger buns
- 6 crisp lettuce leaves
- 6 slices ripe tomato
- Tomato sauce, optional
- Mustard, optional
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes, turning occasionally. Transfer the bacon onto paper towels to drain.
- Gently shape the ground chuck into six burgers of equal size and thickness (about 1cm thick). Season both sides of the burgers with salt and pepper.
- Grill over direct medium heat (180°C to 230°C), with the lid closed as much as possible, until the internal temperature reaches 70°C for medium, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once. Top each burger with a slice of cheese during the last minute or two of grilling time and allow the cheese to melt. During the last 30 seconds, grill the buns over direct medium heat until lightly toasted.
- Serve the cheeseburgers hot on the toasted buns with a lettuce leaf and a slice of tomato, topped with a slice of the bacon. Serve with ketchup and mustard on the side, if desired.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Grilling time: 8 to 10 minutes