- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup plum sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup finely sliced spring onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 flank steaks, each about 1/2kg and 2cm thick
- In a medium bowl combine the marinade ingredients.
- Trim the flank steaks of any surface fat and then place them in a large, resealable plastic bag. Pour in the marinade, press the air out of the bag, and seal tightly. Refrigerate for 3 to 6 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove the steaks from the bag and reserve the marinade. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan, bring to a boil, and boil for 1 full minute. Pat the steaks dry with paper towels and allow the steaks to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. Grill over direct high heat (230°C to 290°C), with the lid closed as much as possible, until cooked to desired doneness, 8 to 10 minutes for medium rare, turning once. Remove from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Cut across the grain into thin strips.
- Serve warm with the sauce.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Marinating time: 3 to 6 hours
Grilling time: 8 to 10 minutes