- 1 small red or sweet yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 Rump steaks, each about 225g and 2.5cm thick
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cut the peeled onion in half lengthwise through the root end. Trim off the ends. With a very sharp knife, cut the onion into paper-thin slices and place in a shallow dish, such as a glass pie plate. Add the remaining onion ingredients and toss to dissolve the salt and sugar. Set aside at room temperature for about 3 hours, stirring the onion occasionally.
- Allow the steaks to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. Lightly brush or spray both sides of the steaks with oil. In a small bowl, mix the paprika, brown sugar, salt, and pepper and then press the seasonings into both sides of the steaks. Grill over direct high heat (230°C to 290°C), with the lid closed as much as possible, until cooked to desired doneness, 6 to 8 minutes for medium rare, turning once (if flare-ups occur, move the steaks temporarily over indirect high heat). Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Strain the onions in a sieve. Serve the steaks warm with the pickled onions on top.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Marinating time: 3 hours
Grilling time: 6 to 8 minutes