- ½ cup / 115 grams (1 stick) unsalted butter, thinly sliced
- 1 package (11½ ounces) semisweet chocolate chunks, divided
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup / 200 grams packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups / 280 grams all-purpose flour
- ½ cup / 60 grams cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup / 115 grams coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup / 75 grams sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup / 150 grams seedless raisins or coarsely chopped dried cherries (or half of each)
BRAAI SET UP
Prepare the braai for indirect cooking over medium heat (about 180°C)
IN THE KITCHEN
In a small saucepan over very low heat on the stove, melt the butter. Coarsely chop half (about 1 cup) of the chocolate chunks. Add to the saucepan and heat, stirring often, until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and let cool to lukewarm.
In a large bowl using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat the eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla until pale yellow and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the cooled butter-chocolate mixture.
In a medium bowl sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Gradually stir into the large bowl of batter. Add the walnuts, coconut flakes, raisins and/or cherries, and the remaining chocolate chunks; stir to blend. The batter will be stiff.
Use a tablespoon and wet fingertips to drop 1-inch mounds of the batter onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, keeping the mounds about 2 inches apart (the cookies do not spread when baked).
AT THE BRAAI
Braai, in batches, over indirect medium heat, with the lid closed, keeping the braai’s temperature as close to 180°C as possible, until the cookies look and feel set, about 20 minutes. Remove from the grill and let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet until they are easy to remove with a spatula, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough and a cool, parchment-lined baking sheet.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Braai time: 1 hour
Makes: 36 Cookies