- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups fresh or thawed frozen blueberries, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped (optional)
- In a nonstick, ovenproof 25 cm skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add 2 cups of the blueberries with 1/4 cup of the sugar, stirring frequently until the mixture has the consistency of jam, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the remaining 2 cups of blueberries, the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, the flour, lemon zest, lemon juice, and nutmeg to the cooked berries and stir to combine. Make sure all of the whole berries are evenly coated.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Combine the melted butter, milk, and vanilla and add to the dry ingredients. Continue to mix until well combined, scraping down the sides once. There may still be some lumps.
- Drop the batter over the fruit in large spoonfuls starting in the middle and working out to the sides, leaving a 2.5cm border of exposed fruit around the outside edge. It will seem like there is a shortage of batter, but it will expand while baking.
- Cook over indirect medium heat (about 180°C), with the lid closed, for 20 minutes. For even cooking, carefully rotate the pan 90 degrees, being careful because the fruit mixture will be bubbling up. Continue to bake until a skewer inserted into the center of the crust comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes more. Keep the lid closed as often as possible during grilling. Place the skillet on a wire rack and let stand for 10 minutes. Serve while still warm or at room temperature and top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Prep time: 20 minutes plus 10 minutes to cool
Grilling time: 45 to 50 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8