- 4 piece/s duck breast, each weighing approx. 200g
- 4 piece/s untreated lime (zest)
- 8 g Javanese pepper, crushed
- 5 g coriander, crushed
- 3 g pink pepper, crushed
- 25 g coarse salt
- 20 g brown sugar
- 8 piece/s onions
- 40 g honey
- 4 piece/s ripe peaches
- 2 piece/s lime juice
- 1/2 string of spring leek
- Salt and Pepper
IN THE KITCHEN
- Soak the pecan wood chunks in cold water for 20 minutes.
- Rinse the duck breast under running water, dab dry and cut the fat side crosswise. Be careful do not cut the meat.
- Mix lime zest, pepper, coriander, pink pepper, salt and sugar and rub duck breast with it.
- Cover it and marinate for 30 minutes. (Store it in the refrigerator.)
- Peel the onions, coat it with honey and wrap each in aluminium foil.
- Cut peaches in half, remove the core and slice them finely. Add lime juice.
- Cut spring leek into fine rings.
- Mix peaches and leek, season with salt and pepper. Add grilled onions when they are done
AT THE BRAAI
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect heat, approx. 140 -160°C and grill the marinated duck breast for 15 minutes with a closed lid.
- Take the chips out of the water and put them on the briquettes. Close lid again and smoke the duck breast for 10 minutes till it is done.
- Then remove the duck and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Afterwards cook the onions with closed lid for 25-30 minutes until soft (approx. 140°C) with indirect heat. After grilling allow them to cool and cut into slices.
- Cut duck breast into slices and serve with salad.
Skill level: Easy
Preparation time: 45 min.
Cooking time: 60 min.
Barbecue temperature: 180°C
Barbecue method: Direct
Equipment: Weber firespice® pecan wood chunks