- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Cornish game hens, 1/2kg to 1kg each
- In a medium bowl whisk the marinade ingredients.
- Remove and discard the giblets from the hens and rinse them, inside and out, under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels. With a sharp knife or poultry shears, remove the backbones and cut in half.
- Place the hen halves in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl, and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove the hen halves from the bag and discard the marinade. Grill them, bone side down, over indirect medium heat (180°C to 230°C) until the juices run clear and the meat is no longer pink at the bone, 30 to 40 minutes. Keep the lid closed as often as possible during grilling. For crispier skin, grill the hens, skin side down, over direct medium heat during the last 5 to 10 minutes of grilling time. Remove from the grill and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Marinating time: 2 to 3 hours
Grilling time: 30 to 40 minutes