- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot chili-garlic sauce, such as sambal oelek
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, about 115g each
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 4 large handfuls baby spinach leaves, about 340g total
- In a small bowl, whisk the marinade ingredients.
- Place the thighs in a large, plastic resealable bag and pour in the marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place the bag in a bowl and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, turning the bag occasionally.
- Remove the thighs from the bag, reserving the marinade. Pour the marinade into a very large skillet and set it aside. Grill the thighs over direct high heat (230°C to 290°C) until the meat is firm and the juices run clear, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once or twice. Keep the lid closed as often as possible during grilling.
- Meanwhile, bring the marinade to a boil over high heat and allow it to boil for 1 full minute. Add the tomato and spinach leaves and cook until the spinach is just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes, turning occasionally. Serve the warm spinach mixture under the chicken.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Marinating time: 1 to 2 hours
Grilling time: 8 to 10 minutes