- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into 1.5cm dice
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1.5cm dice
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1.5cm dice
- 225g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups diced cooked turkey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 sheet (23cm- by 25.5cm) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg
- In a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and cook the onion and carrots, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the onion-carrot mixture to a large bowl. Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in the sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the celery, mushrooms, thyme and oregano. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the juice from the mushrooms has evaporated, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the celery-mushroom mixture to the other vegetables.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Add the curry powder and cook for 1 minute to bring out the flavor. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in the chicken broth and simmer until sauce thickens.
Add the cooked vegetables, turkey, parsley, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to the sauce. Stir and simmer for 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof 25.5cm skillet or deep 25.5cm pie pan.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the puff pastry to 1/2cm thickness. Lay the pastry over the skillet, trimming any excess with a knife.
- Cut 3 or 4 slashes in the pastry to allow the steam to escape. Beat the egg with 2 teaspoons of water; lightly brush the entire surface of the pastry with the egg mixture. If you like, make decorate shapes from the trimmed pastry and arrange them on top.
- Place the skillet on a small baking sheet and place on the cooking grate. Grill over indirect medium heat (180°C to 230°C) until the filling is bubbling and the pastry is golden brown, 40 to 50 minutes. Keep the lid closed as often as possible during grilling.
- Carefully remove the hot pan from the grill. Allow the pie to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Prep time: 30 to 40 minutes
Grilling time: 40 to 50 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8