- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 650g large shrimp (21-30 count), in their shells
- In a small sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the remaining marinade ingredients. Stir and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Using a sharp knife, split open the back of each shrimp and devein it. Place the shrimp in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl, and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp from the bag and discard the marinade. Grill over direct high heat (230°C to 280°C), with the lid closed as much as possible, until the shrimp are just opaque in the center and firm to the touch, 2 to 4 minutes, turning once. Remove from the grill and serve warm or at room temperature with rice, if desired.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Marinating time: 20 to 30 minutes
Grilling time: 2 to 4 minutes
Makes 4 servings