- 2 ears fresh sweet corn, in their husks
- 4 strips bacon
- 1/3 cup bacon drippings
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 16 large scallops, about 40g each
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 225g baby spinach leaves
- 2 tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Soak the corn in cold water for at least 30 minutes. If necessary, use a weight to keep the corn submerged. Drain. Grill the corn over direct medium heat (180°C to 230°C), with the lid closed as much as possible, for 20 to 25 minutes, turning three or four times. Remove from the grill and allow to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, carefully pull back the husks and remove the silk. With a sharp knife, cut the kernels from the cobs. Set aside.
- In a 9- or 10-inch skillet over medium heat, fry the bacon until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the bacon and set aside on paper towels to drain. Remove all but 1/3 cup of the fat from the bacon drippings in the skillet. Add the garlic and shallot and cook over medium heat until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sherry wine vinegar and continue cooking over low heat for 3 more minutes. Set aside.
- Rinse the scallops under cold water and remove the small, tough side muscle that might be left on each one. Place the scallops in a medium bowl and add enough oil to lightly coat them. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Grill over direct high heat (230°C to 290°C), with the lid closed as much as possible, until slightly firm on the surface and opaque in the center, 4 to 6 minutes, turning once.
- In a large bowl combine the spinach leaves and dressing. Toss to evenly coat the spinach. Divide among four plates and add tomato wedges, avocado slices, corn, and scallops. Crumble a piece of bacon over each salad. Serve warm.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Grilling time: 24 to 31 minutes