- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 slices day-old Italian bread, 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded
- 25 plum tomatoes, halved, cored, and seeded
- 1 medium onion, peeled, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large stockpot combine the chicken broth and bread. Set aside while you prepare and grill the vegetables.
- Flatten the pepper half with the palm of your hand. Brush the pepper, tomato halves, and onion slices with oil. Grill the vegetables over direct medium heat (180°C to 230°C), with the lid closed as much as possible, until lightly charred, turning once. The pepper and tomatoes will take 6 to 8 minutes and the onion will take 8 to 12 minutes. When the pepper and tomatoes are cool enough to handle, remove their skins. Rough chop all the grilled vegetables.
- Add the grilled vegetables and the rest of the ingredients to the pot and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with crusty Italian bread, if desired.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Grilling time: 8 to 12 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8