- 1.8kg sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch slicesExtra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- Grill the sweet potatoes over indirect medium heat (180°C to 230°C) until tender when pierced with a fork, about 1 hour, turning three or four times. Keep the lid closed as often as possible during grilling. Remove from the grill and allow to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Remove and discard the skins. Place the potatoes in a medium bowl and cover with aluminum foil.
- Brush or spray the onion slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, for 10 to 12 minutes, turning once. Remove from the grill and allow to cool, then cut into 1/2cm dice.
- Using a heavy-duty mixer or potato masher, mash the potatoes with the butter until smooth. Add the diced onions and mix well. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired. Serve warm.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Grilling time: about 1-1/4 hours
Serves: 8 to 10